HOCl is the scientific formula for Hypochlorous acid, a weak acid similar to that of mild citrus juice yet produced naturally by the white blood cells in all mammals for healing and protection, including that of the human body. HOCl is a powerful oxidant characterized by the absence of tolerance and toxicity and is effective against invading bacteria, fungi and viruses. As a high-level disinfectant, it has been proven to sterilize all bacteria in less than 30 seconds, including general pathogenic bacteria, tubercular bacillus, antibiotic resistant bacteria (super bacteria) and viruses of all sorts.
HOCl is now used in healthcare, food safety, water treatment, and general sanitation.
Hypochlorous Acid (HOCl) vs Sodium Hypochlorite (Chlorine Bleach, NaOCI) – Which is more efficient for killing pathogens?
- Hypochlorous acid moves quickly, able to oxidize the bacteria in a matter of seconds, while the hypochlorite ion might take up to a half hour to do the same.
- Hypochlorous acid carries no electrical charge, while hypochlorite ions carries a negative electrical charge.
- Germ surfaces carry a negative electrical charge which results in a repulsion of the negatively charged hypochlorite ion to the area of the germ surfaces, making hypochlorite ion less effective at killing germs.
- The ratio of the two compounds is determined by the relative acidity (pH) of the water. Water treatment specialists can adjust the pH level to make hypochlorous acid more dominant, to increase its efficiency in killing bacteria.
- The hypochlorous acid’s lack of electrical charge allows it to more efficiently penetrate the protective barriers surrounding germs.
What are the benefits of using HOCl?
Hypochlorous acid, unlike chlorine bleach, is 100% safe and non-irritant. If it gets on your skin or in your eyes, it will not burn. Even if it were accidentally ingested, it is completely harmless. Yet, it is 70-80 times more efficient at killing microbial pathogens than chlorine bleach.
How does Medilox compare?
Medilox is a safe and powerful natural disinfectant derived from artificially producing HOCI, a natural bactericidal substance generated from immune system inside human body, based on the technology of Medilox.
The Sterilizing power of chloride compounds (U.S. EPA)
The Sterilizing power of HOCI (Medilox) is 80 times stronger than that of Chlorine Bleach (NaOCI).
The results are based on the test of sterilization time for 0.1mg/L chlorine carried out by the U.S. EPA
While it takes 1 minute for HOCI to kill coliform bacillus, it takes 80 minutes for Sodium Hypochlorite.
It proves that bactericidal power of HOCI is 80 times stronger than that of Sodium Hypochlorite.
※ The lower the chlorine concentration is, the safer it is; and the shorter the disinfection time is, the more effective it is.
Source: The U.S. EPA
Medilox-S – Multi-Purpose High Level Disinfectant Solution
Medilox-S is non-toxic high-level disinfectant generated from medical certificate systems of European CE Class IIb and the U.S. FDA Class I based on patented technology. It presents no threats to human body because of non-toxicity as its main ingredient is composed of substances approved by the U.S. FDA (Hypochlorous acid, No. 1700.1010). It is a nontoxic high-level disinfectant with the sterilizing power of 99.9% of pathogenic bacteria in less than 30 seconds, including viruses (Inf, Hepa, HSV), general bacteria, tubercle bacillus, MRSA, VRE and staphylococcus aureus, as well as even fungus such as shigella and candida.
Application scope for Medilox-S
Pre-disinfection to prevent pathogenic infection
It is applicable to all types of spaces and materials where there is a possibility of exposure risk to bacteria and infection source through contacts with many people.
Interested in our Medilox range? We have more products on our Medilox page.